To add more flavor to our food , we often have the habit of adding salt, sweetening or adding a little butter or oil to the dishes.
Aromatic herbs have a big advantage in this regard: they improve the taste of dishes without adding calories and are safe for blood pressure , unlike salt.
They are also beneficial when we aim to increase the daily portion of vegetables and fruits and reduce the consumption of meat.
What are the benefits of aromatic herbs?
Many of them contain antioxidants, protecting our body from the accumulation of free radicals and the occurrence of oxidative stress.
These are molecules physiologically present in our body.
Their production can increase under the influence of pollution, smoking , exposure to UV rays.
Present in excess, free radicals cause cells to age faster and can cause a number of diseases, including cancer .
Which aromatic herbs to choose?
A list of 10 aromatic herbs , easy to find in the market, which are both delicious and good for our health.
- Parsley : this is one of the most consumed herbs worldwide. Parsley is rich in vitamin C and minerals . It has antioxidant properties and contains a lot of fiber.
- Coriander : although it looks a lot like parsley, the taste is completely different and it is suitable for many dishes.
- Basil : its taste is slightly sweet and lemony, you cannot cook with it. It is rich in iron and vitamin K, C and A. Thanks to polyphenols, it is a powerful antioxidant .
- Onion : rich in vitamin C, B2 and K , calcium, sodium and iron , it also has strong antioxidant properties.
- Mint : eases digestion and can be used in fruit dishes. It has pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties , but also acts as an antioxidant thanks to the high concentration of polyphenols.
- Thyme : it is rich in vitamins and also has antioxidant properties.
- Dill : known for its antioxidant properties, it pairs particularly well with fish. Its taste becomes bitter if cooked. It has diuretic properties and aids digestion.
- Rosemary : facilitates digestion .
- Sage : rich in antioxidants, aids digestion .
- Oregano : rich in iron, calcium and vitamins . This aromatic herb has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects at the same time.
How to store aromatic herbs?
Fresh herbs are tastier and have better nutritional qualities than dried herbs.
In contrast, frozen herbs are almost as delicious as fresh herbs.
Fresh herbs keep for several days in the refrigerator, while dried herbs can be stored for several months.