Like other organs in the body, the skin needs nutrients to perform its functions and look smooth and vibrant.
It needs a variety of minerals, vitamins , amino acids and fatty acids, which must be obtained from food, but we can also nourish the skin externally with natural cosmetic ingredients.
The more you age, the more nourishment is needed for the skin, because its ability to repair itself decreases and care becomes more important.
After the age of 30, it is recommended to include a nourishing cream in skin care to prevent dryness, wrinkles and lack of elasticity.
What is the benefit of nourishing creams?
The natural ingredients that nourish the skin are those that contribute to the regeneration of epidermal cells and strengthen the natural protective barrier formed by lipids (fats) that prevent dehydration and dryness.
That is why nourishing creams are more concentrated and thick.
It is recommended that they be applied in the evening on cleansed skin in order to be effective as long as possible.
They can be applied to the skin with a gentle massage for 3-5 minutes, applying liberally to the driest or darkest parts of the body.
It is not recommended to use creams containing paraffins or other petroleum derivatives, which are the main ingredients of a very large number of creams, along with various synthetic additives.
Therefore, they are also not the best products for the skin.
What ingredients should face creams contain?
There is a huge variety of fatty plant substances or skin metabolism stimulants that can be included in natural nourishing creams due to their ability to restore the physiological balance of the skin , prevent moisture loss and protect the skin from external aggressions:
- Sweet almond oil - obtained by pressing almonds and is very rich in oleic acid and vitamins A and E. It is particularly suitable for treating dry and irritated skin.
- Borage oil - stands out for its richness in oleic, linoleic and linolenic fatty acids. Its use is suitable for treating dry and dull skin.
- Rosehip oil - obtained from the seeds of Rosa rubiginosa . It is characterized by a high content of linoleic and linolenic acids, which regenerate skin tissue, improve its appearance and delay the symptoms of premature aging .
- Avocado oil - obtained from the pulp of the fruit and has moisturizing, protective and regenerating properties, making it one of the preferred ingredients of many manufacturers of natural nourishing creams.
- Wheat germ oil or rice, corn or other cereal oil - in addition to vitamin E and carotenoids , it contains unsaturated fatty acids and phospholipids, which makes it often used as an active ingredient with a nourishing effect in preparations for the care of dry, wrinkled and sagging skin .
- Shea Butter - A pasty consistency, this vegetable fat is obtained from the seeds of Butyrospermum parkii . Its richness in saturated fatty acids makes it an ingredient particularly suitable as a protective agent against environmental aggressions. It also activates blood circulation and removes surface irritations.
All these oils also contain vitamins , antioxidants and chemical compounds that act synergistically and stimulate skin regeneration.
Natural cosmetic products may also contain plant extracts with active ingredients that have various beneficial effects on the skin, such as extracts of calendula, red algae, Mimosa tenuiflora , hops, horsetail, hypericum, centella asiatica or Prunus africana , among many others.